**See my low-FODMAP version of this recipe Here**Spinach Basil Pesto
1 1/2 cups baby spinach leaves
3/4 cup fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts or sunflower nuts
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 cloves garlic, peeled and quartered (optional)
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Blend the spinach, basil, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice, lemon zest, and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a food processor until nearly smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula as necessary. Drizzle the remaining olive oil into the mixture while processing until smooth.
- Divide pesto evenly in an ice cube tray. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. Once pesto is frozen, remove from tray and store in a heavy-duty freezer storage bag and use as needed.
Homemade Chicken Voila
Gluten-Free, Not Low-FODMAP
1 cup frozen broccoli florets (optional or as tolerated)
1 cup frozen sliced carrots
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 Tbsp. water
2 Tbsp. (or 2 frozen cubes) prepared pesto sauce
1 cup cubed cooked chicken
1 cup dry gluten-free pasta such as fusilli or penne
2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, place the frozen broccoli, carrots and corn (and pesto and chicken, if frozen) in a covered skillet with the water. Cover and cook on medium heat until the vegetables are thawed. Add the pesto sauce and chicken (if not frozen) and cook until veggies are tender and everything is heated through.
- Once the pasta is done, drain and add to the veggies and chicken mixture and stir to combine.
- Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.