I have a weird relationship with tater tots. I remember we were served them quite frequently as part of our hot lunches in school. All of my classmates loved them, especially dipped in ketchup. Me, I'd rather have fries. I never cared for tater tots until I met my husband and his mom introduced me to Tater Tot Hot Dish (a recipe similar to this one, but I will post the "official" recipe at a future date). This was tater tots in a completely different format and I loved them that way! Still.....As much as I love tater tot casseroles and such, I would rather have fries with my ketchup.
1 - 16 oz. bag frozen tater tots (Cascadian Farms Spud Puppies)
4 slices bacon (Applegate Farms), cooked crisp, drained and crumbled
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced (uncooked)
1 cup shredded Colby-Jack cheese
3/4 cup milk (lactose-free or non-dairy for low-FODMAP)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Spray slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Layer half of the frozen tater tots on the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle with a third of the bacon crumbles and a third of the cheese.
- Add diced chicken on top and season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with a third of the bacon crumbles and a third of the cheese.
- Add the remainder of the tater tots and sprinkle the remaining third bacon and cheese. Pour the 3/4 cup milk all over top
- Cook on low for four hours. Serve.