Even though summer is officially over, September and October are still perfect for grilling. My husband I enjoy grilling outdoors more in the chillier fall weather than in the sweltering hot summer months. Throw on a sweatshirt or light jacket and sit outside smelling the crisp air and delicious food grilling.
I found an amazing grilled chicken breast recipe on Food.com: Grilled Moroccan Chicken. I was wowed by how moist, tender and flavorful this chicken was. The recipe was really easy to adapt to a low-FODMAP diet too. I left out the garlic and made up some low-fructan homemade garlic oil instead. I also used only the green parts of the scallions. Just blend the garlic flavored oil with the herbs and spices and give the chicken a short soak in the oh-so-tasty marinade. So much flavor and so easy!
I adapted another Food.com recipe for Simple Brown Rice Pilaf, made with instant brown rice, that went perfectly with the chicken. Just serve these dishes with a simple side salad or steamed veggies, and you've got an easy and delicious weeknight meal that is just bursting with flavor.
Grilled Moroccan Chicken and Brown Rice
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 - 6 cloves of garlic, peeled, smashed and kept whole (used for infusing the oil and then discarded)
1/2 cup chopped scallions (green part only)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if tolerated)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to an even thickness
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, peeled, smashed and kept whole
2 cups instant brown rice
1 3/4 cups Low-FODMAP Chicken Broth or Stock
1/4 cup chopped scallions (green part only)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat the 1/2 cup oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté until just starting to brown, about 2 minutes. Remove and discard garlic. Transfer the saucepan to a cooling rack and let oil cool to room temperature.
- Add the cooled oil to a food processor or blender, along with the 1/2 cup scallions, parsley, cilantro, paprika, cumin, salt, turmeric and cayenne (if using). Process or blend until smooth.
- Rub the mixture on both sides of the chicken breasts and let marinate 30 minutes.
- Heat grill to medium heat. Grill chicken breasts until they have reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, about 5 to 7 minutes a side. (Discard the leftover marinade.)
- While chicken is cooking, prepare the rice: In a large saucepan, heat the 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the 1 clove garlic and sauté until just starting to brown, about 2 minutes. Remove and discard garlic.
- Add the rice, chicken broth or stock, the 1/4 cup scallions, salt and pepper to the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let sit covered for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve with the grilled chicken breasts.