I had every intention of getting this post up before Christmas, but unfortunately that did not happen! I couldn't wait until next year to post it, so you are getting this recipe late. However, there are times throughout the year that frosted sugar cookies are fun to make: Valentine's Day, Easter, the Fourth of July, a random Sunday in January....So maybe you can save this recipe
and think of it the next time you want to make sugar cookies.
Frosted Sugar Cookies
Low-FODMAP, Gluten-Free, Gum-Free
makes about 36 cookies
2 1/2 cups Dianne's Gum-Free, Gluten-Free Flour Blend (see below)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons lactose-free milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour blend, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the 3/4 butter and sugar. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Slowly beat in the flour mixture and blend until mixture comes together in a dough.
- Generously flour a clean surface with more gluten-free flour and roll dough out to a 1/8- to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters.
- Place on prepared baking sheets and bake 6 to 8 minutes, or until just starting to brown around bottom edges.
- Cool on cookie sheets at least 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.
- To make frosting, beat the 1/4 cup butter and vanilla. Blend in the confectioners' sugar. Add milk, a teaspoon at a time, until desired spreading consistency is achieved. Use to frost cooled cookies.
Dianne's Gum-Free, Gluten-Free Flour Blend
Thoroughly combine 2 cups brown rice flour, 1/2 cup sweet rice flour, 1/2 cup cornstarch and 1/4 cup tapioca flour. Measure flour by lightly spooning into the measuring cup and leveling off with the back of a knife.