I love creating recipes, photographing them and writing about them, but I have to admit that I'm not a very good blogger. It's probably why I still hold on to my "day job" and haven't gone to blogging full-time. I don't really like social media and forget to post things to it. I constantly forget to check my email (sorry for not getting back to you right away!). I also find it difficult to keep up with the holidays and seasons. Case in point: this lemon bread recipe that should have been posted in the spring. I'm posting it in September instead, when I really should be posting a pumpkin recipe (don't worry, I have plenty of pumpkin coming up). In my defense, lemon bread is delicious year-round, right?
I've actually been working on this recipe all summer. It's been tough to get just the right balance of ingredients to make a tender, springy bread. However, the best part of this bread is the glaze. It doesn't just sit on top of the loaf, it actually soaks in, making the loaf extra moist and lemony.
This bread works with either my own gluten-free flour blend or King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour. Both flour blends do not contain xanthan or guar gum, which some people have difficulty digesting. Instead of adding gums, I designed the recipe to not require any at all.
The result is a gum-free, gluten-free, FODMAP-friendly lemon loaf. Perfect to enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea or to share with a friend. Plus, it tastes great year-round, even in the fall!
Glazed Lemon Loaf
Low-FODMAP, Gluten-Free, Gum-Free
makes 1 - 4"x 8" loaf (about 12 slices)
2 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup plain, 99% lactose-free, low-fat Lifeway Kefir*
1/2 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest (the zest of about one lemon)
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 3/4 cup (8.2 oz. or 232 g.) Dianne's Gum-Free, Gluten-Free Flour Blend
(or King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (the juice of about one lemon)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spritz a 8" x 4" loaf pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper (or grease and flour pan really well).
- Add eggs to a large mixing bowl and beat until frothy. Stir in the sugar, kefir, oil, lemon zest and extract. Blend well. Measure out the flour by lightly spooning into measuring cup and leveling off with the back of knife. Add the flour, baking powder and salt to the egg mixture and stir until smooth and there are no lumps (batter will be thin).
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until lightly browned on top and bread tests done with a toothpick.
- Cool in pan for about 5 minutes.
- While bread is cooling, combine the 1/4 cup sugar and 3 tablespoons lemon juice in a small saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Transfer bread out of pan onto a cooling rack (loosening the edges with a knife, if needed). Poke holes all over the top of the loaf with a toothpick. Slowly spoon glaze evenly over the bread.
- Cool bread completely before slicing.