Pizza is one of my favorite foods and it's a necessity in my life. I do have a wonderful pizza crust in my cookbook. It's a yeast recipe (also egg-free) that takes a little more effort and time to make, so I wanted to share a really quick and easy way to make a low-FODMAP pizza crust.
If you are familiar with commercially available gluten-free baking mixes, you've probably heard of Chebe. Chebe makes a range of bread mixes that are made of modified tapioca starch. They make a delicious pizza crust mix, but unfortunately, it contains garlic and onion. I decided to try their plain all-purpose bread mix, but follow the directions for their pizza crust. It worked!
I deviate a little from their directions and found a method that works perfectly for me. I don't add the shredded cheese they recommend adding. Since I already put cheese on top of the pizza, I reduce the fat and calories by omitting the cheese in the crust.
First, whisk the eggs, oil and water or milk (I usually just use water) together with a fork in a medium bowl.
Add the bread mix and stir it in as much as you can with the fork.
Use your hands to form a dough and knead several times until it's smooth.
Pat the dough in the bottom of the pizza pan (pardon my fingers!).
Pop the crust in the oven and bake for 9 minutes. While the crust is baking, mix up the yummy sauce.
The crust is now ready for the toppings.
On this particular pizza, I added black olives, tuna and mozzarella.
Bake and eat! Yum!
Do you have any other ideas for low-FODMAP pizza toppings? Please share in the comments below!
Quick & Easy Pizza
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup water or lactose-free milk
1 Box Chebe All-Purpose Bread Mix
3/4 cup 100% tomato sauce or tomato puree (such as Pomi)
1/2 teaspoon Nicer Foods Garlic-Infused Oil*
1/2 teaspoon Nicer Foods Shallot-Infused Oil*
2 teaspoons Italian Herb Seasoning (such as Frontier or the recipe from my cookbook)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Low-FODMAP Italian Seasoned Sausage
Shredded mozzarella cheese
Browned ground beef
Tuna (Hey, don't knock it 'til you try it!)
Canadian Bacon and Pineapple
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly grease a 12-inch pizza pan (greasing not needed if using non-stick pan).
- Whisk the eggs, oil, and water or milk together in a large bowl with a fork. Stir in the Chebe mix as much as you can with the fork, then use your hands to form the mixture into a dough. Knead the dough several times until smooth. Transfer to the pizza pan and pat the dough in the bottom of the pan.
- Bake crust for 9 minutes. While crust is baking, make the sauce: combine the tomato sauce, garlic oil, shallot oil, Italian herbs, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Spread the sauce evenly over the par-baked crust and sprinkle with toppings. Bake 10 more minutes, or until the cheese is melted and just starting to brown. Slice and serve.
* Homemade Garlic and/or Onion Oil may be used. Since I find homemade to be not as potent and flavorful as the oils made by Nicer Foods, I recommend increasing the amount of oil to 1 tablespoon.
Disclosure: I am an affiliate of FODY Foods, which means that if you click on any of the links and purchase the product, I receive an affiliate commission. However, please note that I only recommend products that I myself enjoy, am excited about, and that I feel provide value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Adverstising."