I have to say that I've really grown to love tofu. The main reason is that it is a protein that my belly has no problem digesting. The other reason is that it is a wonderful vehicle for flavor. In the case of this fried rice, I give the tofu a quick marinade in soy, vinegar, sesame oil and ginger. The tofu soaks the sauce right up, making each bite full of flavor.
I make a quick job of steaming the instant brown rice and carrots together in one pan.
You may wonder how I made the tofu look so much like eggs. The answer is turmeric. Turmeric is a spice with a deep yellow hue. Of course, foods that are so brightly colored are very nutritious. Turmeric is no exception and has been shown to reduce inflammation.
I like to make this tofu fried rice on the weekends for lunch. It comes together so quick and easy and it makes my belly feel great! If you are interested in a non-vegan version of low-FODMAP fried rice made with eggs, check out this recipe I posted a few of years ago: Low-FODMAP Chinese Fried Rice.
Tofu Fried Brown Rice
Low-FODMAP, Vegan, Gluten-Free
serves 4 - 6
1/4 cup soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
14 to 18 oz. firm or extra-firm tofu, drained and crumbled
1 3/4 cups water
2 cups instant brown rice
1 cup diced carrots (about 2 - 3 carrots)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon canola oil or other neutral oil
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 cup sliced scallions, green parts only (about 1 bunch)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce or tamari, vinegar, sesame oil and ginger.
- Place the crumbled tofu in a shallow baking dish and drizzle 3 tablespoons of the sauce mixture over top. Stir to combine and set aside to marinate.
- Meanwhile, bring the water to a boil in large saucepan. Stir in the rice, carrots and salt. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove rice from heat, keep covered and let steam another 5 minutes.
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and sprinkle with the turmeric. Stir to evenly coat the tofu with the turmeric. Continue to saute until tofu is lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- To the tofu in the skillet add the rice and carrots, the remaining sauce mixture and scallions. Toss to combine. Serve.